Using AVR Studio 4 and AVRpro to boot load KD1JV Butterfly programs:
- Download AVR Studio 4 (or the latest version) from http://www.atmel.com. Use thier web site search box to find it. Note, this is a very large file, some 40 plus meg, so if you don't have broadband, its gonna take awhile to download.
- Instal Studio 4 onto your PC.
- Download Butterfly program from qrpradio.com (DDS controller, power meter or keyer) and put it in a folder someplace (AVR appnotes is a good place)
- Start Studio 4 program.
- Select "pojects" from main tool bar
- Select "new project" from sub menu
- Type in project name (butterfly dds, butterfly keyer or the like)in the dialog box.
- Unselect "create inital file" check box
- Click Finish
The project file name and a subfolder called "assembly" will appear in workspace window.
- Right click on " assembly" in the workspace window. In submenu, click on "add existing file" Use browse to find where you put the butterfly .asm file you downloaded from qrpradio.com. Select that file and click "OK"
- The selected file should now be open. Make sure it is active by putting the mouse curser in the file window and left clicking.
- Push F7 to assemble the file and create the .hex file needed for programming into the Butterfly. If the "output" file window is open, you will see the results of the assembly. The hex file will have the same root name as the .asm file it was created from. If the .hex file already exists, you can skip this step.
- Wire up a DB-9 connector to the Butterfly board as shown in the diagram. A male connector should be used and a "null" serial cable used to connect the Butterfly to your PC.
- Reset Butterfly board by tapping a jumper across the two pads at the bottom right of Butterfly board, or you can remove and re-instal the battery.
- Push the joystick switch "IN" and hold closed. At the same time, click on "TOOLS" in the Studio 4 main menu bar, then click on "AVRprog" in the submenu. If the joystick is not pushed IN when you click on "AVRprog", you will get an error message saying device not found.
- Once the program has finished loading, click on "release".
- Disconnect the serial cable.
- To start the new program in the Butterfly, click the joystick to the right.